2019 will see the Saltire Society take on a part time administrator of Scotland’s National Book Awards. The chosen individual will work to ensure the smooth running and delivery of the 2019 Awards while making the most of new initiatives, partnerships and profile opportunities.
Saltire Society Literary Awards Administrator
Charity – Scottish Culture
Freelance 5 month Contract
2 days a week (9am to 5pm)
Ideally Mondays and Tuesdays but negotiable.
Place of Work
The normal place of work will be the Saltire Society Headquarters (9 Fountain Close, 22 High Street, Edinburgh) but attendance at other venues will be required for Literary Award events and meetings.
A work station with computer, landline and saltire email address will be provided.
The purpose of this role is to provide high quality pro-active administrative support to the Awards function with tasks including: managing nominations, communicating with publishers, meeting and event management, maintaining and developing Award partnerships and other related tasks.
About the Saltire Society
The Saltire Society is a small, influential cultural charity with an energetic and engaging approach to managing and delivering our aims as a celebrant and provocateur. This is strongly linked to our programme of projects and awards and the associated events. The Society runs Scotland’s National Book Awards annually. The appointed persons will work closely with our Programme Director, Board, Volunteers and Partners to develop and run the Literary Awards.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Respond to, and follow up on, all awards enquiries.
- Responsible for the dissemination of nominations to judges.
- Responsible for the administration of judging meetings.
- Ensure judges have access to all nominations, guidelines and support necessary to complete the judging process.
- Manage nominations and review eligibility, ensuring all required information and materials are provided, and the nominations are eligible.
- Maintaining Awards’ nomination databases.
- Co-ordinate with Event and Administration Assistants on the updating of the Society’s website and Social Media. Including preparing social media and website scripts.
- In co-ordination with Event and Administration Assistants, attend and minute judging meetings
- Work with the Event and Administration Assistants to order and check awards.
- Together with the Event and Administration Assistants, create the awards presentation to be used at the Awards Ceremony.
- Work with Award partners.
- Provide support for all events related to the Awards.
- Maintain a record of the awards process.
- Maintain strict confidentiality in all aspects of the Awards and the Saltire Society’s work.
- Provide regular updates to the Programme Director.
- Other duties appropriate to the nature of the post as directed by the Programme Director
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- A successful track record of project or events management including effective budgeting
- Knowledge of data gathering methods and analysis
- Ability to work independently, seeking guidance where needed
- Ability to work to deadlines and project manage
- Experience of using social media platforms and managing websites
- Track record of working positively with volunteers and partners
- Experience with survey systems such as Survey Monkey
- Proficiency with standard programs, including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and/or equivalent.
- Knowledge and experience of the Scottish Literary community.
- An interest in and familiarity with current Scottish cultural affairs
- Understanding of marketing principles
Please send your CV with references and a covering letter to:
Deadline for Applications
Noon on Tuesday 30 July 2019
Please note interviews for the position will be held the week of 5 August 2019.