Writers, publishers and Members of Scotland’s literary Community Wanted for Panel Members
Saltire Society Literary Awards call for Judges
The Saltire Society Literary Awards rely on our panels of expert judges to help us recognise and celebrate the best of literature in Scotland from debut work to poetry.
Once again, we are looking for individuals who have a passion for literature and experience as authors, editors, readers, librarians, critics, booksellers, or other members of the literary community to form our panels of independent and impartial judges for our Fiction, First Book, Non-Fiction and Poetry Awards.
Being part of the Saltire Literary Awards is a great way to share your knowledge and experience and, at the same time, promote and support Scotland’s literary landscape. As a judge you will be invited to attend all Saltire Literary events, receive membership of the Society and an honorarium.
As a judge your role will be
- to read all the books designated to you in the Award category you are judging. Please note that some Award categories receive more nominations than others, requiring a larger commitment of time
- to commit to being impartial in your judging
- to attend up to five judging meetings at Saltire Headquarters with your fellow judges
- where appropriate/possible take part in/join us at the events announcing the Award shortlists and recipients.
- 26 July 2019 is the deadline for applications
- week beginning the 5 August, judges will be announced
- 5 August 2019 deadline for all submissions from Publishers (books will, however, be sent to judges at regular intervals from the time judges are in place)
- Late October – shortlists announced
- Late November – recipients announced at the Saltire Literary Awards ceremony.
A judge may only judge in an Award category for which they are not nominated.
A judge may not judge in an Award category in which books by a person they have a close personal relationship with is nominated.
Applying to be a judge
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a short biography and your CV by noon on 26 July 2019.